“Healthy living requires that our kids push, pull, run, throw, climb, lift, jump, effectively and safely regardless of whether or not they play athletics.” (www.CrossFitKids.com)
What is CrossFit Cornerstone Kids?
CrossFit Cornerstone Kids is CrossFit specifically designed for children and teenagers. While including scaled down versions of adult skill training and workouts, CrossFit Kids also focuses on fun to get kids excited about exercising. CFC Kids combines the ten components of fitness:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance- The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength – The ability to apply force.
- Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
Will my child be grouped in with others that are much older?
Just as in the school classroom or on the ball field, a younger athletes programming will vary greatly from a teen’s. That would be UNSAFE! A 7 year old would not be on the same football team as a 16 year old, the same rules apply here. CFC Kids provides a three tier class structure to ensure your young athlete is grouped age appropriately:
Cornerstone Kids I Ages 4-7 (Mondays/Wednesdays 5:30- 6:30pm)
Cornerstone Kids II Ages 8-12 (Mondays/Wednesdays 6:30-7:30pm)
Cornerstone Teens Ages 13-17 (Mondays/Wednesdays 7:30-8:30pm)
How can CrossFit Cornerstone Kids benefit my child?
CrossFit Cornerstone Kids enhances a child’s motor skills by teaching better movement and cognitive skills through engaging children to think about their movement, count their reps, remember the sequences, and work towards goals. CrossFit Kids augments a child or teen’s involvement in sports by incorporating strength training and conditioning to make our CrossFit athletes better athletes at any sport.
In addition to increasing a child’s or teen’s fitness and athleticism, CrossFit Cornerstone Kids:
- instills a lifelong definition of health and positive body image,
- reverses prevalent health issues such as obesity,
- protects against injury,
- creates a community of like-minded individuals for support and self-confidence, and
- hones life skills such as concentration, problem solving, perseverance, dedication, motivation, and goal-setting.
CrossFit Cornerstone Kids is functional fitness designed to benefit our young athletes in sport and in life!
Our coaches are passionate about providing the best service for all participants and in doing so we adhere to the following principles:
- RESPECT- for the coaches and all other participants. This includes respecting the training space and all the equipment; and
- COMMITMENT- to learning and having fun! As always CrossFit Cornerstone Kids is not concerned with your child’s starting level of fitness or strength, we care about commitment and dedication to improving those levels.
How will you run CrossFit Cornerstone Kids classes?
Our job as coaches is to make exercise fun and to help children and teens move better–safer and more effectively–to prepare them for the rest of their lives. At least two certified, insured coaches will supervise and run kids classes. Classes are set up to include a warmup, skill work, workout, and game using the skills. This makes learning and exercise fun!
What can I do as a parent?
We encourage parents to support their children and the class, stay and participate in CrossFit adult classes, help their children maintain consistency in CrossFit attendance, and provide healthy meals at home and for school. Healthy meals consist of protein, carbohydrate, and fat at every meal. The tenets we follow are: lots of lean meat, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar, and no grains. These foods are the optimal fuel for the most sophisticated machines: our bodies. We emphasize the importance of unprocessed, real foods in balanced proportions.
Cornerstone Teens (Age 13- 17)
Our aim is to improve your young athlete’s performance in their specific sport by using a unique blend of constantly varied, functional movements with a heavy emphasis on technique.
Exercises will include conditioning training such as rowing, running, jumping, pushing, pulling (gymnastic movements) and incorporating Olympic rings, paralettes, climbing ropes, as well as traditional bodyweight movements such as pull ups, push ups and handstand push ups. We also use alternative equipment such as kettlebells, and agility training tools. We aim to teach your athletes correctly and safely how to squat, deadlift, press overhead and perform Olympic lifts such as the clean & jerk and snatch; all of the movements that your youth athletes will be expected to perform on the collegiate training level.
Our dedicated coaches will educate your athletes about sports training, nutrition, camaraderie, and teamwork. Our coaches will motivate your athletes to ensure that when they have completed a session they walk away enhanced, improved and wanting to come back. The training provided will guarantee strength and fitness gains beyond expectations. We aim to do this by continually developing the 10 general physical skills; cardio-respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, agility, coordination, balance and accuracy.
Cornerstone Kids II (Age 8- 12)
Our aim is to make exercise fun and to help your young athlete move better–safer and more effectively–to prepare them for the rest of their lives. Coaches will supervise and run your child through a workout. Classes are set up to include a warmup, skill work, workout, and game using the skills. This makes learning and exercise fun! Our CFC Kids II class is CrossFit specifically designed for children age 8-12. While including scaled down versions of adult skill training and workouts, CFC Kids II also focuses on fun to get kids excited about exercising.
Cornerstone Kids I (Age 4-7)
Our CFC Kids I class is for your younger athlete! Our aim is to make exercise fun and to teach your young athlete to safely move and to prepare them for the rest of their lives. Coaches will supervise and run your child through a short workout. Classes are set up to include a warmup, learn a new skill, and play a game using the skills they have learned. This makes learning and exercise fun! Our CFC Kids I class is CrossFit specifically designed for children age 4-7. This class teaches not only basic physical skills, but also social skills and confidence. Children learn foundation movements like the squat, push ups, pull ups, climbing, jumping, and elementary gymnastic movements. CFC Kids I puts a strong emphasis on fun to get kids excited about exercising. More importantly though, you will see your child also learn to follow directions, listen, communicate, and play with others. Every class includes game play and positive reinforcement. Your child’s confidence, both physically and mentally, will grow with each class.